I occasionally write reviews and articles for magazines and newspapers. Here are some that are available online:
- Article for Granta magazine
- Review of Richard Mabey's The Cabaret of Plants for The Observer
- The 10 Best Nature Books for The Observer
- Essay for Caught by the River on common names in nature
- Review for The Guardian of John Lewis-Stempel's Meadowland
- Review for The Observer of Richard Kerridge's Cold Blood
- Diary for the London Review of Books on Derek Walcott in St Lucia
- Essay for The Clearing about a winter in the 1980s in Budapest
- Article on nature writing in The National, United Arab Emirates
- Column in Caught by the River’s 'Antidotes to Indifference'
- Review of Walking Home by Simon Armitage and Scarp by Nick Papadimitriou in The Observer
- Obituary of Peter Reading in The Guardian and Caught by the River
- Review of Bird Sense by Tim Birkhead in The Observer
- Review of Birds Brittanica by Mark Cocker in The Guardian
- Diary in the London Review of Books
- Column in Caught by the River’s 2011 'Shadows and Reflections'
- Column in Caught by the River’s 2012 'Shadows and Reflections'